by Carl Landau
As a seasoned veteran in the niche event world, I’ve pretty much seen it all. What event organizers should do, mistakes to avoid, and most importantly—how to generate more revenue!
I recently sat down with Magnificent Media’s Dave Reimherr for a podcast about live event management for niche publishers. We talked about how to go from thee sponsors at your first event to 20 at your next event, estimating attendee turnout months in advance, and more.
Here are a few of my tricks and tips discussed in the podcast:
- What to charge attendees? Consult a circle of industry advisers before you start to determine the right price point.
- Seek out top speakers. Speakers that approach you are usually not as good as they may seem.
- Provide solid networking opportunities at your events. Networking is much more than parties – done right, networking offers meaningful connections with peers, and a great opportunity to create a core group for advice, support and new ideas.
- AV issues–ugh. Prepare for the unanticipated in performance and costs.
- Communicate often with your sponsors, speakers and attendees – before and after the event.
- Marketing–it’s good to have a theme. It provides continuity throughout the event, makes it memorable.
- Remember that the event is an opportunity for human connection in our techno-communication world.
- Plan fun activities that people are actually bad at–and let the laughing begin.
- Dedicate time to get your sponsors to renew with you right onsite for next year’s event.
- Find dynamic speakers, and then coach them about your program and what your niche audience wants.
- Attendees want to learn AND be entertained. It keeps them coming back to your event each year.
- Use tiered pricing and several deadlines to create registration urgency.
You can download the full podcast here: Hosting the perfect live event.
Carl Landau is Grand Poobah of Super Niche Media Event. Opinions are his own. He can be reach at firstname.lastname@example.org.